Volunteers can play a significant role in welcoming and supporting migrants, refugees and asylum seekers. They also extend the role of MDA staff by providing companionship, assistance and support.
Our Brisbane, Toowoomba and Rockhampton offices all offer a volunteer program with a variety of volunteer roles provided at each location, including the Family Match program, Job Club, MDA events and other support roles as required.
The aim of the program is to offer a warm welcome to refugees and help them settle into their homes and community. In this role volunteers provide a social and cultural bridge for newly arrived refugees in understanding their new home.
Volunteers are matched with a family and commit to visiting the family for one to two hours a week, for a six month period. Volunteers support neighbourhood and home orientation, English tuition, and cultural understanding of general life in Australia.
Please see the MDA Family match volunteer position description for more information
MDA’s Employment Team facilitates a weekly ‘Job Club’ which aims to assist clients build their job readiness. Volunteers assist MDA’s employment team by helping clients to prepare resumes, learn job search techniques and apply for job vacancies.
MDA hosts a range of events in Brisbane, Toowoomba and Rockhampton.
- Brisbane: Lantern Parade and World Refugee Day Community Festival
- Toowoomba and Rockhampton: Walk Together parade
Volunteers support MDA to deliver high quality community events.
A range of other events are also held throughout the year where volunteers are also able to get involved and support MDA.
Other volunteer roles are also offered on an as needs basis.
In all roles, volunteers are supervised and supported throughout their involvement with clients and MDA.
- Interesting opportunities and experiences for people keen to assist in the refugee and multicultural sector
- Flexible hours, supervision, support, professional development and contact via the phone and email
Volunteering does not offer:
- Work experience or administration skill training for those wanting to enter or re-enter the workforce, or for those wishing to obtain Australian workplace skills and development.
- Any volunteer opportunities for human resources, IT, accounting or for those wanting to offer counselling services to our clients.
Becoming a volunteer:
Prospective volunteers are required to:
- Meet with a member of the MDA Volunteer Team for an informal interview
- Complete the required Volunteer application forms including applying for a Blue Card (working with children check)
- Undertake a one-day training program (from 9.30am – 4.00pm). Training topics include:
- Practical aspects of volunteering
- Cultural awareness
- Legal and organisational responsibilities for volunteers
- Provide the names and contact details of two organisations where you have volunteered previously OR two other referees
Volunteer roles are available according to:
- Demand for volunteer assistance
- Needs and requirements of clients
- Experience, skills, geographic location and availability of volunteers
For further information and expressions of interest please contact the Volunteer Team on:
- Brisbane:(07) 3337 5428
- Toowoomba:(07) 4632 1466
- Rockhampton: (07) 4921 2222
In your email please provide your – Full name, email address, phone number, address and why you would like to volunteer with MDA.